Instructions fro extending time / due date on a test for one or more students
While it is not possible to modify the time allotted for one student in an exam/quiz/activity, there is a work-around to allow for one or more students to have extended time.
1. Go to Course Content--> Add Content from Library.
*Note: The copy must be made in the Content Library.
2. Locate the test in the Content Library (left side of the page) and make a copy of it.
- Click Advanced Options to open the taskbar.
- Place a checkmark in the box to the left of the test and click the Copy icon in the taskbar. The title of the item will turn to red italics.
- Click the Paste icon if you want to copy the test into the same folder that the original test is in. If you want to copy the test into a different folder, navigate to that folder first before clicking Paste.
- Choose Paste At Top or Paste At Bottom based on your preference.\
- Scroll to the top or bottom of the test list, depending on which you chose in Step 4. The copied test will then appear in the list with the same name. We will need to change the test name next.
- Hover your mouse over the copied test until you see the down-arrow appear. Click the down-arrow and select Edit.
- Change the name of the test and click “save and continue”.
- Then choose the Preferences tab and scroll down and change the time setting for the test to the new time you would like to give the student. Click SAVE AND RETURN.
Next, you need to add the copied test to the My Course area of your course.
- Go to the My Course side (right side of the page) and open the folder that you wish to add the copied to in your course (where you would like the test to be located in your course).
- Select the copied test in the Content Library and click ADD in the middle of the page. This will add the copied test to My Course.
- In My Course (right side), hover your mouse over the copied test in until you see the down-arrow appear. Click the down-arrow and select Properties.
- In the General tab, change the name to whatever you’d like so that you know it is a copy with special settings.
- Then on the navbar to the level, select Select Students. Highlight Select Specific students…
- Select the student(s) names to whom you’d like to give extra time and click the add button in the middle
- Click Save.
- Now select Availability on the left navbar and set the times/due date that you’d like.
- Click Save and Close.
- Locate the original test and repeat steps 11 through 13 above.
- Then select all students by placing a checkmark to the left of the column head Name,
- Uncheck the student(s) to whom you have given additional time.
- Click Save and close if you have already assigned the original test. If not, click Save and select Availability. You can make the assignment there.
- Click Save and close.