As an event planner, you have the opportunity to create experiences that are not just accessible, but welcoming to your diverse audiences. An event is any University experience - class, activity, workshop, program, training, or field trip - for any University audience, large or small. When planning an event, consider the following:
- Consider accessibility early in your planning. Good planning may not only save you money, but eliminate the need for retrofitting or individual accommodation.
- Refer to the event planning guide to help in your process.
- Create a positive experience. When there are barriers to participation, it can make attendees feel unwelcome and less likely to return or recommend this event to a friend or colleague.
- Commit to a similar, if not identical experience for disabled and non-disabled participants. We strive for equity and inclusion.
- Be knowledgeable about all aspects of your event. As the event planner, you should be prepared to field all even-related inquiries, including questions about access.
For information or consultation on how to design accessible and inclusive events, please call (520) 621-3268 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.