An important step toward becoming independent is developing an awareness of the resources in your community that are available and specific to your needs. Each person is unique with regards to what resources they will need to use. In this module, we will discuss a variety of topics that represent common concerns. As you work through the module, think about how each topic applies to you and what additional resources you may need to seek out.
Check out the activities below:
Points to Remember
- Community systems and independent living go hand and hand. Often to achieve independent living you will need community systems.
- Take an inventory of each below to determine which you will need.
- Health Care: What type of insurance will you have once you turn 18? Who will be your providers?
- How will you get around after High School? Will you use public transportation or para-transit?
- Where will you live? Will you need a housing voucher from HUD?
- Are you going to work? Are you in an area of Vocational Rehab services?
- Do you know how to get in touch with your local Center for Independent Living so they can connect you with any of the above services that you may need?