The following statements could be requests for accommodation. If it is part of your department’s typical practice to approve certain types of requests (e.g., to work remotely, receive additional leave, or receive light duty), you may approve these types of requests without referring an employee to the DRC. Before denying such a request, the employee should be referred to the DRC for consultation.
- “I have exhausted all of my FML, but my doctor has not released me to return to work. I need an additional month of leave.”
- “My doctor has released me to return to work after my shoulder surgery, but I’m unable to lift 20 pounds for the next six weeks.”
- “I recently started using hearing aids, but I am still having trouble hearing sometimes when I am using my office phone.”
- “I’m having a hard time making it across campus for meetings because of my arthritis.”
- “Because of some health issues, I’d like to be able to work from home once a week.”