Below are quick-tips for creating an accessible and inclusive class experience. We also developed a detailed resource for ensuring this experience.
- Follow Universal Design for Learning principles by providing course content in multiple ways.
Flexibility and Communication:
- Include flexibility for class attendance and participation.
Class Layout and Field Trips
- Consider the accessibility of class activities including layout of the classroom and field trip options.
Lectures and Media
- Use accessible presentation techniques, be descriptive, and repeat questions.
- Provide notes, PowerPoint slides, resources, and record lectures.
- Use/create captioned content.
Course Content and Assessments
- Use University supported technologywhich has been vetted for accessibility, FERPA-compliance, and student privacy and safety.
- Consult with DRC’s Digital and Physical Access Team